Think Differently

march 15, 2018 by captive audience



I am a hostage negotiator and this is a recounting of an exercise in which I
participated last year…
I arrived at the Army base at 05.30 and was immediately put to work as the
only moulage artist present. I was asked to create 5 wounded people,
including myself. SGT Jefferson was the target of the shooter’s wrath. I was
assigned the character of SGT Jefferson’s family member. I was placed in
the room of SGT Washington’s (the shooter) initial breach and the only
eyewitness to his first kill. I managed to run out ahead of him and fled to an
office in an adjacent building where I hid under the desk. After going on a
shooting spree, SGT Washington grabbed one male and one female
hostage and barricaded himself along with them in the office next to the
one wherein I was hiding. The female hostage was SGT Jefferson’s
daughter, Leona. He had shot her in the shoulder/collarbone and the bullet
had exited her body via her back. She was coughing up blood.
The MP SWAT team came through and cleared the entry room, hallway,
and the office where I was hiding, without looking under the desk. SGT
Washington loudly cursed them and told them to get out of the building,
threatening to kill Leona Jefferson if they did not comply. He further stated
that, if he heard anyone in the building after that, he would kill her. They
SWAT team pulled out and surrounded the building, calling in aerial
support. Four helicopters arrived, relaying the situation as seen from the air
to the teams on the ground. From my position in the office next door, I
could hear everything. Neither the shooter, nor the hostage, nor the police
knew of my presence in the building. I could hear Leona coughing. I could
hear the exchange between the shooter on the inside and the hostage
negotiator with the bullhorn on the outside. I stayed in place for an hour.
During this time, the shooter demanded medical supplies for Leona. The
negotiator ordered a phone to be included in the supplies, all of which were
delivered carefully and left for the shooter to retrieve. The shooter refused
to use the phone they provided, believing it to be a bomb or a trap. He took
the medical supplies and ordered his male hostage to attend to Leona.
SGT Washington insisted that if he had anything to say, he would shout
through the window.
The hostage negotiator tried for an hour to get some concessions from the
shooter. SGT Washington was belligerent and completely uncooperative.
There were windows in the office where I was hiding and the closest
window was open with no screen. After an hour under the desk, I quietly
came out and stayed below the window frame. I made my way to the open
window and raised a hand to allow SWAT to see me. All guns swiveled in
my direction. I raised both hands about the window frame, indicating the I
was unarmed. I heard them exclaim that there was an unknown hostage
inside. I had been given a cell phone for the exercise, so I held it up for
them to see and then placed it in the open window and backed away. No
one came close. I looked through the drawers in the desk that was
functioning as my cover, and found paper and a pen. I wrote this note. “My
name is Jefferson. The shooter does NOT know that I am in here. He says
if he hears anyone in this building, he will kill Leona. Please help us. Leona
is hurt. I can hear her coughing. Where is SGT Jefferson? Please get me
out.” I made a paper airplane out of the note and flew it out the window as
far as I could. It landed halfway to the SWAT team. All guns swiveled
toward the paper airplane as the teams tried to identify what it was. After a
few minutes, they were able to retrieve it.
Two SWAT team members approached my window from the opposite end
of the building to the room where the shooter and hostages were
barricaded. They asked me if I could get out and I told them that I was
afraid to because if SGT Washington heard or saw me, he would kill Leona.
The door to the office where I was hiding was wide open. They asked me if
I could get out through the window. I said yes. They asked me to do that. I
climbed halfway out and they grabbed me and got me out of the building
and to safety. They took me to the incident command post where they gave
me to both an EMT and a CID agent. The EMT worked on the laceration in
my hand while the CID agent began interviewing me. I stayed at the
incident command post for the remainder of the exercise. The building with
the shooter and hostages was right behind me and I continued to hear the
entire exchange, while the incident command team was right in front of me
and I had the chance to observe them too. It was the perfect position for
me specifically, as a hostage negotiator and as a multi-disciplined member
of Incident Command Teams. I spent an hour with CID, answering all their
questions and drawing diagrams of the two buildings and rooms. The
information they gathered from me was streamlined and given to the
incident commander, who began to formulate a more comprehensive
picture. I continued to play my part, asking for SGT Jefferson and begging
them to help Leona. The hostage negotiator began to appeal that Leona be
released so that she could be taken to the hospital.
After CID got everything they needed from me, they told me that they would
be contacting SGT Jefferson to come get me. Everyone’s attention was
turned at this point to Mrs. Washington, who had arrived on scene and
barricaded herself in her car, whereupon she pulled out a gun and held it to
her own head. All non essential personnel evacuated the incident
command post and headed out to Mrs. Washington’s car. I was told that
SGT Jefferson had been found and that he would be picking me up. I
waited for two hours, watching the command post work. When my CID
agent came back, I pulled him aside and called an academic situation time
out. I revealed that SGT Jefferson was dead. He had been the target of
SGT Washington’s fury and was killed at the very beginning. He would not
be picking me up. Then I got back into character. He reported that to the
incident commander and I was interviewed again, whereupon they were
able to learn more pertinent information. I continued to watch the command
post at work, while listening to the ongoing negotiations and working with
The hostage negotiator finally managed the secure Leona’s release. SGT
Washington realized that there was no reason to allow her to die, so he
released her and she was taken to the hospital. He was down to one
hostage. He had no terms. He admitted loudly that he knew he had ended
his career, his freedom, and perhaps even his life when he shot and killed
SGT Jefferson. He was stalling out of fear. He began talking about the false
allegations against him regarding his daughter and how he had bravely
served his country through multiple deployments. He talked about how
unfairly he had been treated by SGT Jefferson and how he deserved so
much better than that. He began to talk about ending it all by suicide,
unaware that his wife was outside in her car, threatening the same.
After another hour or two of ongoing negotiations, SGT Washington agreed
to give up and come out. He was arrested and his remaining hostage was
freed. The incident command post had been working for hours to secure a
warrant to seize Mrs. Washington’s car, disable it, and download phone and
GPS data from the vehicle’s systems. The authorization finally came
through and they disabled her ability to get away, remotely accessing the
data they needed. Two of the pieces of data they were trying to obtain were
the location and contact information of SGT Washington’s parents.
At this point, the exercise transitioned from critical incident management to
a crime scene investigation and I was released for the day. The CID
battalion commander thanked me and told me that he looked forward to
working with me in future exercises.

Lessons learned –

  1. Never declare a room clear until you have looked in every space big
    enough for a human to hide.
  2. Never give up hallway security once it is yours.
  3. Aerial support provides critical, real-time information.
  4. All the deceased must by positively identified before making any
    claims or promises to family members.
  5. When a hostage taker has no demands, it is nearly impossible to
    negotiate with him.
  6. The amount of information from just one interview can radically alter
    the course of the investigation and the flow of information at the
    incident command post.
  7. Hostage situations can rapidly escalate and secondary situations can
  8. It is possible to have someone friendly on the inside and not know it.
  9. Ingenuity and clarity of thought are needed for self-rescue.
  10. The psychiatrist and chaplain were needed much earlier than they
    were called.
  11. Psychological and spiritual triage would have been warranted.
  12. There needs to be one, central person at the incident command post,
    responsible for collecting incoming data and getting it up on the
  13. One eyewitness’s report can make or break the case.
  14. The hostage negotiator can require backup if the negotiations are
    intense and protracted.
  15. It is still possible to appeal to the sympathy and humanity of a person,
    even after they have just killed an innocent man.
  16. Incident command posts are chaotic and incoming information needs
    to be streamlined. There need to be processes in place for utilizing all
    pertinent data in one, centralized way instead of allowing it to become
    stove piped by the incident command staff.
    For some of you, every comment I made and every lesson I learned will
    make perfect sense to you. For others, you may not know the Incident
    Command System. However, no matter who you are, I hope that you will
    take this one lesson away with you:
    Ingenuity and clarity of thought are needed for self-rescue


Recommended For You

About the Author: Captive Audience

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.