Essential oils are considered mankind’s 1st medicine and it’s been used throughout history for relieving symptoms of ailments and along side complimentary treatments. Using essential oils for healthful functions dates back to 4500 B.C. When ancient Egyptians discovered that oils and aromatics can be used for sickness. Let’s not forget those four thieves who discovered an easy combination of herbal oils when the black plague was wreaking havoc throughout Europe.
Chinese medicine also centers on herbal concoctions and essential oils and this drugs is finally gaining attention in the Western world. While several of the advantages of essential oils haven’t however been clinically tested, there’s feedback that recommend that these oils is also helpful to our health when used properly.
First things initial, essential oils are the very essence of the plant. The oils of the plant are keep in the leaves, flowers, bark, roots or rinds of the plant and hold all the healthful properties. The derived oils can be used for helping in relieving a myriad of medical ailments and utilized in a range of ways. Some more popular ways of using essential oils are aromatherapy, herbal soaks, compresses, tinctures and salves. But you’ll also use them in creating natural home product, and for medicinal uses. The most wonderful side of essential oils lies in their ability to effectively kill unhealthy microorganism while leaving good bacteria alone! As well, essential oils have multiple uses. Rather than targeting one symptom, as Western medicine does, it targets multiple symptoms.
Our reliance on antibiotics to be the cure for several modern-day infections has caused our communities to deal with resistant strands of bacteria and viruses. although these are community-based diseases, that means they’re typically contracted in hospitals, in a SHTF scenario they could become our worst enemy. Some essential oils, like Oregano oil ar believed to be a natural defense against MRSA, SARS and even shingles because they stimulate the immune system and attack bacteria and viruses at a cellular level. In 2001, Science Daily reported on a Georgetown University study which found that oregano oil’s germ-killing properties were nearly as effective as most antibiotics.
In an extended disaster, bacterial infections and viruses are probably to be one of the reasons that people can die. Historically, essential oils have been used as a natural medical care to relieve symptoms when modern-day medicine wasn’t available. There are 2 types of essential oils you should stock up on for SHTF planning:
- Antibacterial – Due to the rise of antibacterial resistant diseases, several are turning to essential oils like basil, cassia, cinnamon, clove, cypress, eucalyptus, geranium, lavender, lemon, marjoram, melaleuca, myrrh, orange, oregano, peppermint, rosemary, tea tree and thyme.
- Antiviral – Oils that are studied to assist management microorganism infections include: basil, cassia, cinnamon, eucalyptus, frankincense, lemon, lemongrass, marjoram, Melaleuca, myrrh, oregano, and thyme.
Most popular oils
- Tea Tree Oil – is an antifungal and antibacterial volatile oil. You’ll use it topically for cuts, scraps, acne treatment, burns, lice treatment, bug bites, or as a bug repellent. If you’ve got a fungal infection, you’ll apply it topically to treat skin ailments like athlete’s foot or ringworms on your skin or on your nails. Different uses include toothache, infections of the mouth and nose, sore throat, and for ear infections of the inner and outer ear.
- Lavender Oil – has antiviral and antibacterial properties. Use it to soothe and calm, assist with sleep disorder and nervous disorders, also as for first aid, sunburn, and to boost immunity. Some folks use lavender topically for painful conditions including migraine headaches, toothaches, sprains, nerve pain, sores, and joint pain. It’s also used for disease of the skin and to promote menstruation.
- Chamomile Oil – this herb is most recognized for its calming and sedative properties. the majority use it in teas and with aromatherapy. But it may be used for skin conditions, to calm skin disorder, eczema, rashes, wounds, dermatitis, dry and itchy skin and different allergic conditions generally. Chamomile oil has anti-inflammatory properties and is good for ear infections.
- Peppermint Oil – possesses antibacterial and antifungal properties. It also soothes rashes, inflammation of the mouth, joints and skin irritations. Assists in alleviating nerve and muscular pain, including headaches. Peppermint oil is also a digestive aid and helps to bring fevers down, as well as, act as a decongestant with colds. Peppermint is good to use as a steam inhalation to reduce bronchial issues.
- Eucalyptus Oil – has antiviral and antibacterial properties, however is most well-known for its use as a decongestant for respiratory ailments. keep in mind, it should be diluted for safety. The diluted oil is taken orally for pain and swelling (inflammation) of respiratory tract secretion membranes, coughs, bronchitis, sinus pain and and inflammation. it’s also used as an expectorant to loosen coughs, antiseptic, fever reducer, and in vaporizer fluids. it’s been found to be useful with wounds, burns, ulcers for patients who utilize it as a complementary therapy. Diluted eucalyptus oil is applied directly to the skin for pain and swelling of respiratory tract secretion membranes, and nasal stuffiness. it’s also used as an insect repellent. In dentistry, eucalyptus oil is included in products used as sealers and solvents for passageway fillings.
- Citrus Oils (orange, lemon, grapefruit, mandarin, tangerine) – are mood-enhancing oils, but every possess different healthful benefits including assists with disease of the skin, scars, wrinkles, oily or dull skin, poison buildup, and stress. Sweet orange oil, in particular, assists with colds and flu’s, gum and mouth ailments and slow digestion.
- Oregano Oil – this oil assists in respiratory tract disorders like coughs, asthma, croup, and respiratory disease. it’s also used for gastrointestinal (GI) disorders like heartburn and bloating. different uses include in easing discomfort from menstrual cramps, rheumatism, urinary tract disorders including urinary tract infections (UTIs), headaches, and heart conditions. Oil of oregano is taken orally for intestinal parasites, allergies, sinus pain, arthritis, cold and respiratory disease, swine flu, earaches, and fatigue. it’s applied to the skin for skin conditions together with skin disease, athlete’s foot, oily skin, dandruff, canker sores, warts, ringworm, rosacea, and psoriasis; as well as for insect and spider bites, gum illness, toothaches, muscle pain, and unhealthy veins. Oregano oil is also used topically as an insect repellent.
- Frankincense – is an herbal powerhouse! It will be used as an antiseptic and be directly applied to wounds without any side effects. It also protects the wound from tetanus and changing into septic. along those lines, frankincense acts as a coagulant, serving to to stop bleeding from wounds and cuts. This astringent property also helps to relieve diarrhea of various types. Its antiseptic properties may also be used to stop mount and tooth infections – so use it as a mouthwash. different properties include use as a disinfectant, digestive, diuretic, expectorant, sedative, tonic, uterine and helps to heal wounds faster will applied as a lotion or cream.
Making by yourself infused oils
Since most people are on identical self-sufficiency path, you’ll easily create your own essential oils using a carrier oil and herbs. Carrier oils are derived from the fatty elements of vegetables like nuts, kernels and seeds. Some examples of carrier oils are grape seed oil, olive oil, hemp seed, jojoba, avocado oil, and almond tree oil.
When you are getting ready the stuff to create infused oil, follow the following instructions:
- For herbs: use 1/4 cup of herbal leaves and flowers and chop roughly.
- For spices: use 2 tablespoons of whole spices and crush in a mortar and pestle.
- For flowers: use 1/4-1/2 ounce of only the petals.
To make infused oil you need:
- Crock pot
- 1 cup carrier oil
- Herbs, spices or petals (see necessary amounts above)
- Place the carrier oil in the crockpot. See list of suggested carrier oils above.
- Place the plant materials directly into the oil or wrap in several layers of cheesecloth.
- Set crock pot to the lowest setting and allow to heat for six to eight hours. If the fragrance is not strong enough, cook for a couple hours more, not to exceed 12 hours. If the fragrance is still not strong enough, remove the spent plant materials and add fresh in the same ratio, taking care to not overcook.
SHTF Medical Care Starter Recipes
- 1 cup coconut oil
- ¾ ounce beeswax
- 1/4 tsp. calendula oil
- 8 Drops essential oils – frankincense, lavender, lemon
Combine body oil and beeswax, heat mixture just enough to melt the wax. Add essential oils, stir then pour into clean glass jars. Let cool. keep at room temperature this salve will keep for six months.
Natural Hand Sanitizer
- 1 cup pure aloe vera gel
- 1-2 teaspoons of witch hazel (add until the desired consistency is reached)
- 8 drops of essential oils known for disinfecting
Lemon and Lavender All-Purpose Home Cleaner
- 3-5 drops lemon oil
- 3-5 drops lavender oil
- 3-5 drops Thyme oil
- 1 spray bottle filled 3/4 full with water
During a time while not the availability of Western medicine, we must realize another different to treatment in order to keep our loved ones healthy. Natural medicine including essential oils is also all that we’ve access to during a long term disaster and understanding the power that they possess may keep US healthier and should even save our lives.